- 8 oz - Country Ham (cut into serving size pieces)
- 1 Cup - Strong Black Coffee
- 1/2 Cup - Water
- 2 TBS - Un-Salted Butter
- 1/2 - 1 tsp - Sugar (to suit your taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- Fry ham slices in 1 TBS of butter in a skillet over medium heat until browned.
- Remove ham from skillet. The skillet should be covered with brown bits (fond).
- Add coffee and water to deglaze the pan while scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula to get all the fond off.
- Add sugar and black pepper to taste and bring to a boil.
- Continue to boil uncovered for 5-10 minutes until it's reduced by half and slightly thickened.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1 TBS butter.
- Serve over country ham and grits!