Sunday, February 7, 2016
Thursday, February 4, 2016
Blackening Seasoning Ingredients
- 4 TBS - Sweet Paprika
- 2 TBS - Salt
- 4 tsp - Granulated Garlic
- 4 tsp - Granulated Onion
- 4 tsp - Black Pepper
- 4 tsp - Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp - Thyme
- 2 tsp - Oregano
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly mixed. Store in an airtight container.
Blackened Steak and Shrimp Ingredients
- 2lbs - Steaks of your choice
- 1 lb - Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 TBS - Peanut Oil
- 4 TBS - Butter
- Fresh Lemon Juice
NOTE: Open a window for venhilation, this will produce a lot of smoke
- Thoroughly pat the steaks dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle steaks and shrimp withoil and liberally season both sides with Blackening Seasoning.
- Over medium high heat drizzle 1 TBS of oil in a hot cast iron pan until it begins to smoke.
- Add 2 TBS of melted butter.
- Add steaks (do not over crowd the pan or you will poach the fish) and do not move for minutes for medium rare. (if you prefer more done finish them in a 350º oven or they will burn if left in the hot skillet for too long).
- Flip and cook 3 more minutes.
- Repeat this process for the shrimp but only cook for 1 minute on each side, finishing with a spritz of fresh lemon juice.
Tuesday, February 2, 2016
- 20 oz - Shredded Bag Potatoes
- 1 - Medium Yellow Onion (grated)
- 2 - Eggs
- 2 TBS - All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Stick - Butter
- 1/4 Cup - Olive Oil
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, onion, eggs, flour and mix well.
- Add 1 tbs oil and butter to a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of potato mixture and press into a flat even pancake.
- Cook on each side 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Keep warm in a 250º oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with apple sauce and sour cream.
Sunday, January 31, 2016
- 3 lbs - Chicken Wings (separated)
- 1/2 Cup - Heinz 56 Sauce
- 1/4 Cup - Honey
- Lawry's Seasoning salt or your favorite seasoning.
- Season wings with seasoning salt.
- Place wings on a raised rack on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425º oven for 10 minutes.
- Flip wings and bake another 10 minutes.
- Baste wings with sauce and bake another 10 minutes.
- Flip wings, baste again and bake another 8 minutes.
- Finish the wings under the broiler for 2 minutes or until the sauce has caramelized.
Thursday, January 28, 2016
Meat & Marinade
- 1.5 lbs - Sirloin Steak (sliced thin against the grain)
- 2 TBS - Soy Sauce
- 1 TBS - Shaoxing Chinese Rice Wine
- 1 - Egg White
- 2 TBS - Corn Starch
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBS - Canola Oil
Vegetables and Sauce
- 1 lb - Broccoli Florets
- 2 - Large Carrots (Peeled and sliced into thin strips)
- 2 Cups - Chicken Broth
- 3 TBS - Soy Sauce
- 2 TBS - Hoisin Sauce
- 2 TBS - Oyster Sauce
- 2 tsp - Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp - Minced Ginger
- 2 tsp - Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp - Sugar
- 2 TBS - Corn Starch
- Combine meat and marinade all together in a large bowl and let marinade 10-15 minutes.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients except (broccoli and carrots) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a salted water boil in a large pot.
- Blanch the vegetables in the boiling water for 60 seconds. If you like your vegetables less firm blanch a bit longer.
- Remove the vegetables from the pot and drain on paper towels.
- In a wok or large frying pan over high heat add oil and stir fry meat for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables and sauce, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once the sauce comes to a boil the sauce will slightly thicken and everything is done. (Do NOT overcook)
- Serve over steamed rice.
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
- 1 lb - Collard Greens (stems removed)
- 1 lbs - Smoked Turkey Necks (or other smoked meat)
- 1 - Large Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Quart - Water
- 2 tsp - Granulated Garlic
- 2 tsp - Granulated Onion
- 1-2 tsp - Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp - Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- In a large pot combine all of the ingredients except the collards
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and let simmer for 1.5 hours.
- Add collards, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2-2.5 hours or until the meat is falling off the neck bones and the collards are tender.
- Serve as is or with apple cider vinegar, butter or both.
Sunday, January 24, 2016
- 2 lbs - Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 45 oz - Spaghetti Sauce
- 16 oz - Penne Pasta
- 8 oz - Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Cups - Water
- Salt and pepper the chicken and brown for 2 minutes on each side in a large skillet.
- Add the spaghetti sauce to the chicken, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cut into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Add 2 cups of water to the sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes turn the heat off, add the chicken and half of the cheese and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Place into a preheated 400º oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Thursday, January 21, 2016
- 4 Large - Jalapeno Peppers (cut in half lengthwise and seeded)
- 4 oz - Italian Sausage
- 1/2 Cup - Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Cup - Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp - Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp - Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tsp - Granulated Onion
- 1 Roll - Pillsbury Pizza Dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Combine sausage, cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion together in a medium bowl
- Overfill each pepper half with meat and cheese mixture.
- Cut the dough to wrap around each pepper and seal all the seams.
- Poke several holes in the top of each popper.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375º for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage has reached 165º.
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
- 6 Whole Turkey Wings (separated)
- 1/2 Cup - Wolfe Rub Original (or your favorite rub)
- 2 Cups - Your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Season wings with BBQ Rub and refrigerate at least an hour or up to overnight.
- Set up grill for indirect grilling and preheat to 325º. I used 2 pieces of cherry for smoke.
- Cook at 325º over indirect heat for 45 minutes.
- Liberally baste with the BBQ sauce, close the lid and grill for 10 minutes.
- Flip wings, baste again and grill another 10 minutes.
- Flip wings one final time, increase the temperature to 400º.
- Baste one last time and grill for 5 more minutes.