- 3 lbs - Chicken
- 1/2 Cup - Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup - Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup - Rice Vinegar
- 24 oz - Pale Ale (Dale's, Bass, Sam Adams Summer Ale, etc)
- 2 TBS - Minced Garlic
- 4 - Ginger Coin Slices
- 1 - Star Anise
- 1 tsp - Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp - Szechuan Peppercorns
- 5 - Whole Dried Chili Peppers (crush for spicier wings)
- 1 Bunch - Green Onions - (coarsely chopped)
- 4 TBS - Butter
- 1/4 Cup - Flour
- 1/4 Cup - Corn Starch
- Oil for frying
- Combine first 12 ingredients into a large, flat and heavy bottom skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour uncovered.
- Remove wings, drain on a wire rack and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to over night.
- Strain sauce into a smaller pan, bring to a boil for 8-10 minutes or until reduced and thicken to the point it will coat the back of a spoon.
- Turn the heat off and whisk in butter, cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Coming flour and corn starch in a large bowl.
- Dust wings and fry for 2.5-3 minutes in 375º oil until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain wings on a wire rack.
- Toss wings in sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion tops,