Pinto Bean Recipe
- 4 cups - Dried Pinto Beans
- 2lbs - Ham (ham steaks or ham hock)
- 4 qts - Water
- 2 - Yellow onions Diced
- 2 - Bay Leaves
- 2 TBS - Granulated Garlic
- 1 TBS - Black Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste when serving
- Add dried beans and water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat and let sit for one hour
- Do not drain the beans and return to a simmer
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer approximately one hour or until beans are tender
- Remove lid and continue simmer for 20 minutes to allow the soup to thicken.
- Serve with cornbread and garnish with fresh onion or sliced jalapeno
NOTE: Do not add salt until the end. It will toughen your beans and may also make the beans too salty with the ham.