- 4-5 Corned Beef Brisket (*flat or point cut)
- 24 oz - Guinness Extra Stout**
- Seasoning Packet that comes with the corned beef.
- 1 tsp - Pickling spice
- 2 tsp - Granulated Garlic
- 2 tsp - Granulated Onion
- 2 tsp - Black Pepper
- Remove corned beef from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. (keep seasoning packet)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, add 2 tsp vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Brown corned beef on all sides, the more browning area the more flavor. (optional but adds flavor)
- If you're not using a Dutch oven to brown the corned beef, transfer to a dish big enough to hold it along with about 4-5 cups of liquid.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, cover tightly with aluminum foil and place into a preheated 350º oven for 2.5-3 hours OR until you can stick a fork into the corned beef and twist like spaghetti.
- Remove corned beef, strain and reserve the remaining braising liquid.
- With two forks pull the corned beef apart removing and discarding any remaining excess fat.
- Pour the strained braising liquid back onto the meat and give a good toss until it's all coated.
* Point cut cut is fattier, but has much more flavor.
** If you don't want to use the Stout you can substitute leftover black coffee or a non-diet cola soda.
*** This recipe can also be done in a crock pot.
Enjoy as is or make into Reuben Sandwiches
Reuben Sandwiches (traditional)
- Add a TBS of butter to a skillet over medium heat, then add one piece of rye bread.
- Top the bread with the corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and one more piece of rye bread.
- Toast for 2-3 minutes per side until the cheese is melted.
- Top with Russian Dressing. (Deli mustard or Thousand Island dressing maybe substituted)
Bagel Reuben Sandwich
- Add a TBS of butter to a skillet over medium heat and toast an Everything Bagel (or bagel of your choice) for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove bagel and add a mountain of the shredded corned beef to the skillet which gives it even more flavor by slightly browning and caramelizing.
- Top with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and cover until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Transfer to the bagel and top with Russian Dressing. (Deli mustard or Thousand Island dressing maybe substituted)