- 1/4 Cup - Table Salt*
- 1/4 Cup - Sugar
- 2 Cups - Hot Water
- 2 Cups - Ice
- 10-12 lb - Turkey
- Mix salt, sugar and hot water until dissolved.
- Add and mix until melted.
- Inject ALL of the brine into all parts of the turkey.
- Refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat your grill to 275º and set up for indirect cooking.
- Add apple and cherry wood chunks.
- Smoke at 275º for 2.5-3 hours or until the breast reached 160º and the thighs reach 170º.
- Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 1 hour before slicing.
*Note - The type of salt you used does not matter, salt is salt once dissolved. HOWEVER, the amount (volume) of they type of salt you use does matter as the volume is different in table salt vs. Kosher salt. However the weight is the same. For instance if you're weighing your salt it's 10 oz regardless of the salt. But if you're measuring by cups (volume) see below.
Amounts of salt to use per gallon of water. You need 10 oz of salt per gallon of water.
1 Cup - Table Salt = 10 oz per cup
1.5 Cup - Morton Kosher Salt = 7.7 oz per cup
2 Cup - Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt = 5 oz per cup