- 13 lb - Turkey
- 1/4 Cup - Table Salt
- 1/4 Cup - Sugar
- 2 Cups - Hot Water
- 2 Cups - Ice (or enough to make 1 quart of liquid)
- 1 stick - Butter
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavity.
- Mix salt, sugar and hot water until salt and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add ice to brine and mix until ice is melted.
- Inject the brine into the turkey moving the needle constantly throughout the muscles to get complete brine coverage.
- Refrigerate turkey for 1-2 hours to allow the brine to soak in.
- Place turkey on a raised rack in the bottom of a 325º oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the butter to the pan and let melt for 15 minutes.
- After one hour begin to baste the turkey with the butter every 10 minutes until* the breast reaches 160º and the thighs reach 170º.
- Remove turkey and loosely tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will climb up to 5º while resting.
*Brined turkeys cook faster than an unbrined turkey. Typically turkeys cook for approximately 14 minutes per pound, brined turkeys generally cook around 10 minutes per pound.
Carve and ENJOY!